How the service works
We have made a number of changes to our services in order to ensure the safety of visitors and staff:
The microfilm readers are currently in operation and available to book on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
- Because a limited number of microfilm readers are available, we prefer people to book in advance. If you don’t book we may not be able to accommodate you.
- You will be able to book a microfilm reader from 10am-12.30am OR from 2pm-4.30pm. Please arrive within 15 minutes of your booking or your booking will expire and you will need to book again.
- To protect customers and staff please continue to wear face coverings when in our building. Be Responsible, Be Safe.
- If you want a member of staff to help you at your microfilm reader you will need to wear a face covering and stay a metre away from them. They will be wearing a face covering too.
- Please sanitize your hands at the sanitization stations provided on entering and leaving the microfilm area.
- 6 microfilm readers are available to book and you will be allocated one at the point of booking. Please do not attempt to use any reader except the one allocated to you.
- We can only accommodate one person on each microfilm reader for your own safety, and the safety of others using the readers.
- If you need to print items out, please save them up and only visit the printer once. Please see our List of fees for details of printing charges.
- Please use contactless to pay for printing whenever possible.
- Please bring your own scrap paper and stationery as we are unable to provide it at this time.
Please be aware that submitting a request either by phone or e-mail does not guarantee you a booking. A member of our team will be in touch with you to either confirm there is a machine free for you to use on your requested date or to try and arrange another date/time if not.
Making a booking
To reserve a microfilm reader over the telephone
Ring the History Centre on 01482 317500 (Tuesday to Friday) and ask us to reserve a microfilm reader for you. We will ask you to read out your library card number (the long number under the barcode). If you don't have it to hand, we might ask for your -
- date of birth
This is to ensure we can identify you when you come into the library.
Please ensure you have your library card with you when you come to the Centre in order that you can log in to the computer allocated to you.
To reserve a microfilm reader by e-mail
Contact the History Centre enquiry team on firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a microfilm reader clearly stating your name, library card number (the long number under the barcode), and the date and time you would like to book for.
When you arrive at the Centre
Please make your way to the library area where staff on the Enquiry Desk will be ready to advise you.
The History Centre is observing Health & Safety guidance and we can assure you that the PCs will be thoroughly cleaned after every use. We would ask you to play your part by frequently washing and/or sanitizing your hands, and not coughing or sneezing over the equipment.