The History Centre has a large number of local newspaper titles:
|Title || Covering Dates |
|| 1787 - 1886
|| 1794 - 1867
|| 1808 - 1840
|Eastern Counties Herald
|| 1838 - 1884
|Eastern Morning News
|| 1864 - 1929
|| 1852 - 1929
|Hull Times (City and County Editions)
|| 1857 - 1984
|Hull Daily News/Evening News
|| 1884 - 1930
|Hull Daily Mail
|| 1885 - present
|The Hull Sentinel
|| 1928 - 1963
We also hold copies of:
- The Flashback series, a monthly Hull Daily Mail publication containing 20th century photographs of people, places and events in Hull. It is indexed by subject and name for ease of access
- Various free newspapers such as the Hull Star and the Hull Advertiser
Most of these titles can be viewed on microfilm at the Hull History centre.
The Hull Daily Mail is available on microfilm up to the end of the previous year. If you would like to see issues from the current year, the paper originals will be issued in the searchroom.
Alternatively, issues from 2006 onwards are available online at ProQuest UK Newsstand, which you can access through the Hull Libraries Online Reference Library with your library card. Issues from 1885-1950 can be searched online via the British Newspaper Archive.
Flashback is now available on microfilm up to Mar 2016; later issues should be requested in the Searchroom.
There is also a selection of subject and biographical indexes for some of our newspaper collections available in the library area:
- Hull Advertiser, 1794-1825; edited by K. A. MacMahon (also available to view in the Searchroom, ref: L 072)
- Hull Advertiser, 1826-1857; by J. Meadley (2 vols) (also available to view in the Searchroom, ref: L 072)
- Hull Times, 1857-1945; by J. Meadley (edited by Robert Barnard, 8 vols) (also available to view online or in the searchroom)
- Hull Advertiser obituaries, 1800-1850 (card index)
- Hull Daily Mail, 1940s-2010 (incomplete) (card and printed indexes)
- The Flashback series is indexed in our Information Index (card index)
In addition we have a number of military indexes to the Hull Daily Mail and Hull Times, all compiled by Malcolm and Mary Mann. These are all available in the searchroom with some duplicate copies in the library area. They can be searched by name to find casualties, fatalities and occasional other reports:
- Hull Times, Index to the Great War 1914-15
- Hull Daily Mail, Index to the Great War
- Hull Daily Mail, Index of WWII, 1939-1946
- Hull Daily Mail, Military Index, 1992-1994
Another newspaper which includes online listings of WWI and WWII records plus civilian and military medals of the 20th century is the London Gazette, which is accessible for free online.
The British Newspaper Archive
The British Newspaper Archive, published by Find My Past in partnership with the British Library, is available free in the History Centre and in Hull Libraries.
It gives access to the British Library’s digitised holdings of regional newspapers from around the British Isles which can be searched for people places or events. These include local ones such as the Hull Packet (1800-1886), Hull Daily Mail (1885-1950) and the Beverley Guardian (1856-1867).