Detail from 1553 Queen Mary Charter (ref C-BRC.22)

CARN ticket

What is a CARN ticket?

In order to keep the documents in our care secure and protected we need to ensure that we have accurate, up to date information about all of our users. Once you have registered with the County Archives Research Network [CARN] you can visit any archive office in England and Wales which participates in the scheme without having to provide further proof of identity.

How much does it cost to join CARN?

There is no charge for joining CARN.

I don't have a CARN ticket. What do I do?

Bring with you proof of identity so staff can issue a free ticket. This should only take a few minutes.

What forms of identity do I need to bring with me?

We need proof of your name, current address and signature. You will need to bring one or more of the following:

  • driving licence
  • pension or benefit book
  • utility bill or bank statement (in your name)
  • cheque guarantee card
  • passport (note that this does not include your address, and is not sufficient on its own)

Please make sure your identification includes all three required elements - e.g. bank statement (name and address) plus passport (signature).

I already have a CARN ticket issued by another office

If you have a ticket from one of the participating offices, bring it with you. You do not need to register again.

How long does the ticket last?

CARN tickets are valid for 4 years.

How do I renew my CARN ticket?

To renew your ticket you will have to bring identification with you as is required for a new ticket (see above). If you change address the same thing applies - please bring the required identification including your new address.

I don't have any proof of identity with me. Can I still use your service?

Yes - if this is your first visit. We will issue you with a temporary day pass that will allow you to access all our services. However, for subsequent visits you will be expected to register before you can use our services.

Once I have my ticket how do I use it?

Once you have a CARN ticket, you must bring it with you each time you visit a participating archive as you may not be allowed to access documents without it.

You will be asked to leave your ticket with the searchroom staff when documents are issued to you and it will be returned to you once the documents are received back and checked by the staff.

Please take care of your ticket, you may be charged for a replacement. If you do lose your ticket please report it to a participating office or direct to the Hon Registrar.

If you have any more questions please contact the Archives and Records Association for more information:

Archives and Records Association (UK& Ireland), 
Prioryfield House, 20 Canon Street, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 1SW 
Tel: 01823 327030