Second World War records - Static Water
As well as the City Engineer’s records (C TSCD) the
Town Clerk’s Department kept records relating to Static Water
Static Water Tanks were provided in
areas/sites where there was little or no water supply. They were
also necessary in case the water mains were damaged by bombing so
that the Fire Brigade had an alternate source of water supply.
Permission to erect these tanks, all be them a temporary measure,
had to be sought from the owner’s/ agents of the properties in
question. Clues as to the whereabouts of these sites may
occasionally remain in the City with signs saying ‘S.W.S’ on the
walls of buildings.
Records that we hold include agreements for
the erection of static water tanks that were made in 1944 in order
to ensure the adequate provision of water in the event of fire
caused by air raid attacks. Amongst these agreements there are maps
showing the exact location of the tank/s.
There are records relating to the
original possession of the sites (Form of Requisition Notice) by
the Town Clerk under powers delegated by the Minister of Home
Security under and by virtue of regulation 51 of the Defence
Regulations 1939 and in accordance with general directions from the
Regional Commissioner for the North Eastern Civil Defence Region.
There is also correspondence between the Town Clerk, the
owners/agents of proposed sites for Static Water Tanks, the City
Engineer and the Fire Guard Officer.
- C TCY/3/1 Agreements
between the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Citizen's of the City and
County of Kingston upon Hull and owner (s) and tenants of various
properties/ pieces of land for the erection of a static water tank/
- C TCY/3/2 Town Clerk's
Requisition and Release Notices relating to Static Water
TCY/3/3 Correspondence between the Town Clerk, the
owners/agents of proposed sites for Static Water Tanks and the City
Engineer, Fire Guard Office 1944
- C TCY/3/4 Lists
of Static Water Tank Sites c.Jun 1947
Return to Second World War Records or visit our page
on planning your visit