Hull Hospitals

Hospital Records
Hull History Centre holds very few hospital records as most of them are held by the NHS. Those records we do hold are subject to the Data Protection Act and may not be accessible. Please contact
us if you have a query about specific records.

The following list is a list of historic hospitals in Hull, not a list of hospitals for which we hold records.

Brotherick’s Hospital
This was an almhouse in Posterngate from 1579. The building contained 12 rooms for poor widows. The hospital is said to have been used until 1659 when it was demolished due to unsafe foundations.

Chamberlain’s Almhouses
This was part of Leonard Chamberlain’s charities which consisted in 1823 of two almhouses in Sutton, described as being built in 1800 and 1804 for 4 and 6 people respectively. They were based in College Street and Church Street and were replaced by 12 new almhouses built in Chamberlain Street.

Charterhouse Hospital
Almspeople were probably accommodated in the house, the maison dieu (House of God) which was replaced by the Carthusian Priory founded by Michael De La Pole in 1378. The hospitals were separated in 1383. The Charterhouse is now situated down Charterhouse Lane.

City Hospital (later Castle Hill Hospital)
A hospital for infectious diseases was built in Hedon Road in 1885. It moved to Cottingham into newly erected buildings in 1928.

Crockhay’s Hospital
The origin of the almhouse in Vicar Lane is unknown. It  used to be a house of correction in 1646. There is evidence that it was actually put to this use and it is said to have accommodated soldiers in 1647. It was let to a tenant before 1655 when the Corporation granted a fresh lease. No more is known of it.

Crowle’s Hospital
George Crowle is said to have founded this hospital in Sewer Lane in 1661 when he was Mayor. The charity continued until 1902 when the old building was sold by the Charity Trustees and later demolished.

Evan Fraser Hospital
A smallpox hospital was built at Sutton in 1899 to replace Garrison Hospital, it’s work was eventually taken over by the new City Hospital.

Ferens Haven of Rest
Thomas R.Ferens, by an indenture of 1912 granted by the site of 12 almhouses which he was building to the Corporation. The first 12 almhouses on Holderness Road, bear the date 1911, 8 here were built in 1956. In addition, 12 flats were built in Staveley Road and 12 in Barham Road in 1953.

Ferens Home of Rest
By will proved in 1930. Ferens also left his private residence, Holderness House in Holderness Road, for a home of rest for 10 or more poor gentlewomen. In 1966 there was accommodation for 19 women.

Finn Homes of Rest
By will proved in 1930. Frank P. Finn left the residue of his estate to be used for educational or other charitable institutions in Hull or the East Riding at his trustees discretion. In 1955, 12 houses were eventually built in Boulton Grove, Southcoates Avenue. In 1951 the trustees vested £ 29,000 stock in the Corporation.

Garrison Hospital
A small pox hospital in  South Bridge Road on the Citadel Foreshore was built in 1866 and was enlarged to contain 46 beds in 1881. It was replaced by the Evan Fraser Hospital in 1899. Cases of infectious diseases occurring on board ship were at this period  confined in a converted hulk moored in the Humber.

Gee’s Hospital
In 1595 William Gee was said to have spent £ 1000 on the hospital and it’s inmates. By will proved in 1603, he gave the hospital, together with other property in Chapel Lane yielding rents of £ 9.00 to the Corporation. The old building was sold by the Charity Trustees in 1887.

Hull Lunatic Asylum (later De La Pole Hospital)
A private asylum was established in Boteler Street (now Gibson Street, Cannon Street) in 1814 by Dr. John Anderson and a surgeon Mr. Ellis. About 1925 the proprietors took over, for female patients, an asylum at Summergangs Hall in Holderness Road. Both these establishments were replaced c. 1838 when new premises were built in Asylum Lane (later Argyle Street), Anlaby Road. In 1883 a new asylum was opened near Cottingham. It was the 74 acre De La Pole Farm which was designed by Smith and Brodrick. A nurse’s home was built in 1934 and an admission block in 1937.

Hull Maternity Hospital
After the City Hospital moved to Cottingham, its buildings on Hedon Road were, in 1929 converted for use as a maternity unit.

Hull Sanitorium (later the Castle Hill Hospital)
A sanatorium was built in 1916. There were 212 beds in 1963.

Hull Tuberculosis After Care Colony
A sanatorium at Walkington was established in 1919. It did not become part of the NHS in 1948 and it closed in 1953.

Kingston General Hospital
The Beverley Road Institution (formerly the Sculcoates Workhouse) was, after 1948 re-named Kingston General Hospital. There had been accommodation for over 900 people in 1939. It is now demolished and Endeavour School is now in its place.

Tilworth Grange Hospital
An institution for female mentally ill patients was opened in Salthouse Road, Sutton in 1921.

Victoria Hospital for Sick Children
The Victoria hospital for Sick Children was opened in 1873 with 30 beds in a house in Story Street. In 1891 a new hospital building designed by S. Musgrave was opened in Park Street, accommodating 54 patients.

Western General Hospital
The Anlaby Road Institution (formerly the Hull Workhouse) was after 1948 renamed the Western General Hospital. In 1963 work was begun on a new hospital to replace most of the old buildings on the site. It was subsequently decided that this should assume the title of Hull Royal Infirmary and should replace the Infirmary buildings in Prospect Street. It was also to absorb the Victoria Hospital for Sick Children. The new buildings were completed in 1966.

Winestead Hall (the Colony)
An institution for male mental patients was built at Winestead in 1939. A new convalescent home opened at Hornsea in 1908, to accommodate 24 children. A new out patients department was built in 1925 and a nurses home in 1933.