Hull Workhouses and their records
Anlaby Road Workhouse
The Hull Workhouse on Anlaby Road opened in 1852 and later became
the Anlaby Road Institution. After 1948 it was renamed the Western
General. By 1966 it was known as the Hull Royal Infirmary. There
are no surviving admission records for the Hull Workhouse. Other
records have survived but these are administrative rather than
personal. There are a few records from the workhouse prior to it
being built on Anlaby Road, when it was situated along
Whitefriargate. They are:
C PUH Minutes 1907 – 1929
C PUH 210 – School admission and discharge books, 1897-1908
C PUH 213 – List of persons in receipt of poor relief, 1722 – 6,
arranged by ward.
C PUH 214 – Admission and discharge 1729 – 1759
C PUH 215 – Admission and discharge 1842 – 1848
The Sculcoates Workhouse was built in 1844 and then became the
Beverley Road Institution, and after 1948 was renamed the Kingston
General Hospital. There are no surviving admission records for the
Sculcoates Workhouse, apart from:
C PUS 417 - Creed Register, 1st
April 1914 – 1st August 1923. This gives details of name
of person admitted to the workhouse, date of birth, religion/creed,
name of informant and whether they were discharged or deceased.
The Drypool Workhouse was based on Great Union
The Sculcoates Workhouse was situated on Carr Street.
The Sutton Workhouse was situated on Church Street, Sutton.
They all then became part of the Sculcoates Poor Law Union in 1837,
but there are no surviving records.