Records of the Council and committees of Hull City Council and
it's predecessors, since 1755
1835 saw the passing of the
Municipal Corporations Act which was to change the way local
councils in England would be run and administered. Hull was no
different, and the council that was elected to run the town after
the act was very different from that of the one before it. It was
elected from a wider constituent base as a result of the new
property qualification. The way Hull, like many other towns chose
to run its business would be through the establishment of various
committees, whether standing or permanent (for example the Water
and Works Committees) or through special or specific ones (such as
the Greek Gypsy or Profiteering Committees).
Over the years the areas in which the Corporation of Hull began
to involve itself grew as it looked to improve life in the town.
There were moves to extend the public utilities with improved water
and power supplies, transport and telephones, which prompted their
own committees. The council would also establish committees in
reponse to private initatives, central government legislation and
cultural activities such as public libraries.
The Corporation merged with a number other bodies, such as the
health boards in 1876, the school boards in 1903 and the Poor Law
Guardians in 1930. This meant new responsiblites and new
committees. Hull was granted county borough status under the 1888
Local Government Act and became a full city in 1897.
Despite the ravages of the Second World War, the government of the city
continued, through its regular committees as well as a specific
Emergency Committee. Post war there were many changes, with for
example the the nationalisation of the water industry which meant
the end of the water committee. Local Government reform in 1975 saw
the creation of Humberside County Council which resulted in areas
such as Education and the Fire Brigade transferring to the new
county. From being a county borough, the new council that was left
became a district council, with committees such as Leisure Services
and Planning. In 1996 Humberside was abolished under more local
government reforms and a new unitary authority for Hull was
created. In 1999 the committee system was reorganised completely,
with a leader and cabinet style executitve arrangement.
How are the records arranged?
are arranged by committee, with dates of operation. Some, for
example the Cattle Plague Committee (Ref C TCCA) and the Bridges
(Ref C TCBR) and the Grammar School Committees (Ref C TCG) have
full catalogues available on our online
catalogue, whilst others have only paper catalogues available
in the searchroom. There is a list of almost 200
committees with links (where applicable) to further information
on our online catalogue.
What records will I find in the
The collection contains a wide range of
records. The main records are the committee minutes and any
associated reports. However, there are also letters, applications,
plans, memos, posters and regulations amongst the collections.
What can the collections be used for?
well as a record of the decisions of the council and being useful
for a history of Hull itself, the records can also be used to show
the development of aspects English local government from the 19th
century onwards. It may also help some family historians
as there are many names of individuals who have worked for the
council over the years.
Access to unrestricted
material will be granted to any accredited reader. However, access to some of the
material in this collection is restricted under the terms of the
Data Protection Act. Access to material closed under DPA may be
accessible for research, according to the exemptions set out within
the DPA. Please see our closure guidelines or contact the History Centre for further