Baths and Wash Houses
At least three baths were in use in Hull in the early nineteenth
century; in Bond Street, in Dock Street and on the bank of the
Humber. The last of these stood at a point later called Bath Place.
The Humber baths were built shortly before 1805, when there were
separate cold, warm and swimming baths. In 1831 there were two
bathing establishments there with hot, cold, tepid and vapourised
water. In 1844 the Hull Public Bath Company was formed and it
constructed baths in the same locality, perhaps replacing the old
ones. The company’s baths had been closed for some years before the
ground was bought by the Corporation in 1866.
The Corporation first decided to provide
baths in 1799. They were to be at the waterworks, but it is not
known whether the plan was in fact carried out. When, however, the
new waterworks were built at Stoneferry in 1845, baths were
certainly included. Although extensively used, the baths were
distant from the town and in 1850 the corporation built new ones in
Trippett Street. These included individual baths for men and women,
vapour baths, a women’s plunge bath, a men’s swimming bath and a
laundry. They were closed in 1903 and the building was later used
as a telephone exchange.
Baths were next opened in 1885, in Madeley Street, and in 1898,
in Holderness Road (the East Hull baths). The Beverley Road baths
followed in 1905, with separate baths for men, women and boys and
in 1908 the Newington Baths were opened in Albert Avenue, on the
site of the former Newington WaterCompany works. All four included
slipper baths; and all but those in Albert Avenue were covered
baths. Electro-medical and vapour baths were added at Beverley Road
in 1927, and covered baths were built at Albert Avenue in 1933.
The East Park lido was opened in 1964. A pond in the park
had been used for open-air swimming before the First World War, and
a second for girls was opened in the 1920’s; both these fell out of
use in 1949. There were also two public wash houses in St. Paul’s
Street, together with slipper baths, opened in 1928 and in Hessle
Road opened in 1935.
Baths and Washhouse
Committee C TCB
City Architectural Drawings C TAA
Messrs. Hebblethwaite & Son, Land Agents C