Want to create a unique learning experience for your students?
Hull University Archives staff can offer advice and provide digitised content to assist in the incorporation of archives into course development and teaching.
To date we have worked with colleagues in Geography, History, Politics, English, Drama and Education. We would love to hear from anyone who is interested in finding out how archives might benefit their teaching.
Staff can also deliver hands-on workshops to introduce students to archival research and the resources available at Hull History Centre. These workshops are tailored to individual courses and modules, and can be incorporated into the existing timetable. Sessions can be run on campus using surrogate copies of archives, but work best when held at Hull History Centre where students can interact with original material.
Staff run the following extra-curricular courses for students to sign up to independently, and we would be happy to repeat any of the courses within an existing module:
- 'Introduction to Hull History Centre' allows students to explore what facilities are available at HHC and how they can be used effectively.
- 'Archives for student research projects' introduces students to the types of material held at Hull History Centre, and encourages them to think about how you might design a research project around them.
- 'Bias, subjectivity and perspective in archives' allows students to explore the inherent biases of archival documents, and encourages them to think about author and researcher subjectivity when interpreting sources.
- 'Palaeography practice' allows students to have a go at transcribing early modern archival documents. It provides guidance on transcription conventions, and worked examples allowing them to check their work.
- 'Using archives in creative projects' allows students to explore how archives can be used to inspire and support creative work such as; fiction and non-fiction writing; play scripting; illustration, painting and sculpture.
Search for this content in Canvas Commons using 'Hull University Archives'. Feel free to use the content independently in your own teaching. We are happy to advise further if you wish to do so.
Finally, staff have produced a number of SkillsGuides that can be accessed via the University Library website. You might find it helpful to direct students' attention to these guides when talking to them about using archives.